Monday, August 19, 2019

Getting Home - Riding the rails

I decided an interesting way to finish the trip was to take an Amtrak train to Denver.  Since my family came to town, it kind of change my plans a little and I should have done some more homework about getting to the train station.  I knew the Washington, DC station took walk on bikes but I didn't really think about the drive from Richmond.  My brother was gracious enough to make the 2 hr drive to Washington, DC and back.  Ugh.  Thanks!  As we were driving up though, I realized that they have commuter trains that to right to Union Station.  Doh.

So the first leg went from Washington, DC to Chicago.  I was not the only bike and they basically opened a baggage car and told us to lay our bikes on the floor.  Huh?   No racks?  I ended up leaning my bike up against the side and another biker (with bags) leaned his against mine.  All was well when we picked them up.

The train left Washington at 4pm and was supposed to arrive in Chicago at 8:45am.  Do you call this the Red Eye?  Anyway, I wouldn't trust any of Amtraks schedules...  we arrive in Chicago about 10:45am.  Which was fine, since my train to Denver didn't leave until 2pm.

I met a couple bikers in the grand hall who were on their way to Seattle for a tour.  They were kind enough to watch my gear while I went and got food.

In Washington, they had gates where you lined up for the track, then just walked your bike to the train.  This is also what they tell you on the website.  Apparently, Chicago does things different.  I eventually found out where to meet for the train.  The gentleman asked me if I had a claim ticket for my bike (which I'm holding).  Yup.  When they call my train, they put me at the front.  All good, same as Washington so far.  BUT  as I get on the platform, the attendant tells me to go to the next car.  Then that attendant tells me to go to the baggage car (all the way at the front of the train).  So off I go to the baggage car.  Only thing is, there is no one around to take my bike...  so I wait.  The train is going to leave at 2pm and it is 1:55...  I yell down to an attendant and ask if someone is coming?  Someone comes, but not to put my bike in the baggage.  Just put it in this car here... OK.  now I have to haul ass to the back of the train where the Denver passengers are.  Not 30 seconds after I get to my seat the train takes off.   It turns out that apparently Chicago takes your bike through baggage claim, but because I tagged my stuff in Washington, I had no way to know this and no one said a word to either the other couple or me about it (yeah, we just hang out in the grand hall with our bikes for fun).  By the way, train arrives in Denver 2 hours later than scheduled...  Not surprisingly, when I go to the car to retrieve my bike it is not there...  Apparently, they put it in the baggage car in Lincoln, Nebraska.  Sigh.

As far as the ride goes, it was good.  I think if you were to get trains during daylight hours, it would be a good way to see the country.  Seat space was generous and reclined sufficient to sleep.  It was kind of interesting to see how the whole Amtrak / CSX freight works too.  Would I do it again?  Maybe..























No comments:

Post a Comment