Wednesday, August 7, 2019

Day 59, Love to Palmyra, 72 miles

8-7-2019
It started out warm today, even at elevation on the Blue Ridge.  Nice casual ride along the parkway, stopping to eat and dry out my tent at an overlook.

I got into Afton about 930 to visit the Cookie Lady house.  In 1976, June Curry discovered all these cyclists going by her house and they needed water and food.  She began giving them cookies, hence the name.  She also allowed cyclists to stay in her house, which has over the years, become one of the most famous TA spots.  Nearly every wall is adorned with memorabilia and it now includes one of my cards.  I'm sorry I never got to meet June, but hopefully this legacy will live on.

Traffic definitely changed today.  Higher speeds on the roads and more aggressive drivers.  Sigh, welcome to the east coast.

I'm spending the night in another Methodist church in Palmyra. 




Actually leaving...

Cookie Lady house





Another generous church hosting cyclists 

No comments:

Post a Comment