Wednesday, July 3, 2019

Pearl Izumi Customer Service or Not

About a month before the trip, I purchased a pair of Pearl Izumi X-Alp Elevate shoes.  These are primarily a mountain bike shoe, but were recommended by a local bike shop.  These shoes come with a velcro closure near the ball of the foot and a BOA closure for the remainder.  I do like the BOA closure, it allows me to adjust the shoe while riding just by reaching down and turning the dial.  They fit well and I've had no foot issues with them.  I do like the shoe.


You'll notice that the BOA wire goes through nylon loops.  My original thought was that this would wear from dirt and mud and eventually cut through.  Well, mine didn't even last that long.  A little over a 1000 miles into the ride I noticed this...



It appears that the nylon was not singed enough and it pulled through the stitching.  Pearl Izumi has a lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects, so  I emailed Pearl Izumi the photos and also told them I was in the middle of the Trans America ride and what could they do.  Their response was laughable.  "If you think there is a problem with your product, please go to....  and fill out our warranty form".  Yeah, no shit, I think there is a problem, that is why I sent you an email...  with photos.  To get a replacement, I will have to fill out their form (got access to a printer?), Remove the cleats, ship them to california, wait for them to process, and maybe get new shoes?  when?  Am I supposed to sit around a couple of weeks and wait for shoes, or duct tape my shower flip flops to the pedal?  

So I went and found some needle and thread and did a little creative suturing.  Improvising is a part of life on the road anyway.  I've decided to ride with it the rest of the way (I've put another 800 miles on them) and then deal with them after I've finished.   

So be warned, if your in the middle of the great divide trail or peruvian jungle.  Don't expect much if you have problems with your PI gear... 

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you are frustrated. Legit and understood. Hope you get the right shoe for the rest of your trip!

    ReplyDelete